Thursday, June 30, 2016

Old Pics from the Philippines - Part 3

Sweetie is a Seventh Day Adventist; while in her hometown, we met with the local SDA pastor and his assistant.  (Yes, it's been so long I forget their names!  Forgive me Lord!)

Pastor's Assistant, Sweetie, Kuya, Grump, and the SDA Pastor


On Sabbath we went to worship service at the SDA church.  You can't tell from these photos, but the wooden beams were so thoroughly chewed by termites that I believe that it was only the termites themselves who held the whole structure together!

Inside the SDA church


Inside the SDA church



We spent a lot of time hanging around Sweetie's parent's house.

On the front porch



The woman in the blue dress gave birth two days after this pic was taken.

Inside, in the parlor


In the front yard


I included this pic to show the contrast between shade and sunlight.  The tropical sun is very, very strong!

See how bring the sun is?


Kuya and his Aunt Rolly


Folks gather in the kitchen



One of the things I never understood was why everyone planted coconut trees next to their home, often right in front of the door!  If one of the coconuts should fall and bonk someone on the head ...... OUCH!!  I was assured this never, ever happens, but I still watched my step around those coconut trees!  (Much to everyone else's amusement, I must add.)

A coconut tree, just waiting to BONK someone!


Notice in this pic of a path to the house that there is a coconut tree RIGHT NEXT TO THE PATH!

 


In Sweetie's home town we would take "showers" outside with water piped in from ........ uh, I haven't a clue where this water came from.  (I probably don't want to know!)  Everyone but me also drank the stuff, but I just knew that if I took a sip of that water I'd be crouching in the CR for days!

Anyway, this water was FREEZING!!  We would bathe in the morning, when it was still cool outside, and running that cold water over your body wasn't refreshing, it was torture.  Okay ..... no one else minded it but me, but at least my howls of protest when the ice water froze me amused the kids.

Jungle Shower


Sad to say, we lost Lolo early in 2015.  But let me tell you; he was a good, hard working man, and very, very proud of his roosters!










His chickens ruled the house, so to speak, and were running about all over the place!




Chicken poop stinks.  Now imagine lots of chickens running around pooping in the hot, humid climate there, and you can probably begin to imagine how it smelled.

Those of you who grew up on a farm are probably used to the smell, and wonder what all the fuss is about, but to this city boy it was gross!


Eventually Grump got tired of trying to sleep in the heat, and insisted that he, Sweetie, and Kuya go to a hotel in the city.

It was really, really wonderful to spend a few nights sleeping in air-conditioning!

Kuya trying to poke his cousin John Charley in the ear, while his aunt and Lola look on.

John Charley


Sweetie, Kuya, and Grump at the hotel



Our Philippine visit ended all too soon, and before we realized it years had rushed by, and then Lolo was gone.

It's difficult and costly to travel to the other side of the world, but we are hoping to go back soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment