Sunday, March 26, 2017

Riverside Cemetery, March/2017

I made a quick visit to Riverside Cemetery, (located in Macon, GA), to pay my respects to some of my deceased relatives.

It's kinda creepy, but folks in my immediate family seem to move to Macon to die.  Ugh!  I hope to break that pattern!

My Grandma and Uncle Tom are buried in the part of Riverside Cemetery that is cut off from the rest by I-75.






After some confusion, I finally found Grandma and Uncle Tom.

Grandma was a tough old lady who raised five of her own children, and several children of cousins and neighbors, mostly by herself through the depression.  I wish Kuya and Dodong could have met her.




Uncle Tom was a cool, "free spirit" of an uncle.  Folks always told me that I reminded them of him when he was younger.  I always took that as a compliment!



I'm sure if the Jones family is kin or not, or just neighbors.




While I generally enjoy walking through cemeteries, the graves of young children always makes me sad.  Here are three little ones the same husband and wife had to bury.



Once I get the tears out of my eyes, I can enjoy the scenic views.





My Aunt Leola and her husband Clarence are also resting at Riverside, in the main part of the cemetery, in a mausoleum.  (They were cremated, I believe.)







I'm not sure who the Brent family are, but they seem like really, really cool folks!






There are some nice Victorian memorials in the cemetery, but nothing as spectacular as you may find up North.  For example, I used to live near the Homewood Cemetery in east Pittsburgh, PA, and it had some super impressive statuary.  But if you consider the time period, then this makes sense.  The "Victorian years" more or less occurred after the Civil War, a conflict that absolutely ravaged the southern states.







Now let's stroll over to Rose Hill, to pay our respects to Duane and Berry!


No comments:

Post a Comment